"Let us not be ashamed to speak what we shame not to think."
-Michel de Montaigne

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Christeene's Bucket List


Have you seen the movie with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman in it, "The Bucket List?" Neither have I. But I hear it's fantastic. The basic premise, I gather from those who've watched it and reported back, is that two old guys are dying and they decide to make the most of their time on earth by doing things on their bucket lists; as in, 'kick the bucket' list. I asked myself, what are the top 20 things I want to do before I die, without concern for money, talent, or practicality? Here's what comes to mind immediately, in no particular order:

1. Participate in the annual "Running of the Bulls" in Spain: One pair of, Nikes $100. Plane ticket to Spain, $800. Being able to say you barely dodged the horns of a raging bull by mere inches? Priceless.

2. Meet and talk with Gabriel Garcia Marquez, my favorite (living) author of all time.

3. Direct a movie version of "The Giver."

4. Jam session with Coldplay.

5. Create a collection of couture wedding gowns and premiere them on a runway in New York City.

6. White water rafting in the Colorado River.

7. Spend a day in the Vatican archives.

8. Have coffee with the president.

9. Get published in The Paris Review.

10. Backpack through Spain, southern France,and Italy.

11. Learn to play the violin or guitar.

12. Earn a black belt in a martial art of some sort.

13. Go on an extended missionary trip in South America: Jesu Cristo se ama.

14. Star in a Broadway musical: jazz hands people, jazz hands!

15. Deep sea fishing for Marlin ala Ernest Hemingway.

16. Tour the top ten greatest libraries in the world.

17. Open an amazing bookstore/coffee shop in the McDonough Square.

18. Spend a season on a commercial crab fishing boat in Alaska.

19. Go to the "Body Farm" in Tennessee. Yes, it's as weird as it sounds:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_farm

20. See my name on the spine of book on a Barnes and Noble bookshelf (even if it's the bargain section).

What's on your 'bucket list?'

2 comments:

  1. I want to travel all over the place with my family! I can't even begin to list all of the places I want to visit - I just know I want to see as much of this planet I live on before I leave it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I have accomplished a few things on my bucket list already: go to Hawaii, see Michael Jordan play basketball, graduate from college, become a registered nurse. I have given birth to three beautiful children but nothing to this day has surpassed the joy of watching my daughter Christeene graduate from Georgia State University summa cum laude.

    ReplyDelete